Calling all K-4th grade students, we need your help!
National Poison Prevention Week is March 18-24, 2018 and each year the Missouri Poison Center hosts a poster contest for students to draw, paint, and color their messages about poison safety. Poster entries must be received by Friday, February 16, 2018.
The contest is open to all K through 4th graders in St. Louis City and County schools. All posters from each school may be sent together. Posters may be mailed or hand-delivered during business hours to: Missouri Poison Center, 7980 Clayton Road, Suite 200, St. Louis, MO 63117.
- Student’s name, grade level, and school must be printed or labeled on the back of each poster (please make sure this does not bleed through the poster).
- The theme is poison prevention/safety. Ideas may include: Know the Poison Help number 1-800-222-1222 / Children Act Fast, So Do Poisons / Lock up Poisons / Safe Dosage and Safe Storage of Medicine.
- A student loves her grandma and grandpa and draws a poster of two old people wearing their glasses and reading the labels on their medicine bottles.
- A student likes puppies and draws a poster about a dog fetching a lock for the medicine cabinet.
- A student likes genies and draws a poster about making a wish that everybody stays safe from poisons.
- Stimulate their young minds and they will come up with all sorts of great ideas.
- Entries can illustrate a message that communicate that poisonings can happen to people of any age including babies, children, adults and grandparents.
- Entries should be no larger than 11” X 17”. Use big letters and keep drawings simple. Any art medium may be used. A tip is to use bright, bold, and contrasting colors. Double check the spelling. Commonly misspelled words are: medicine, caution, poison, health, safety, Hotline: 1-800-222-1222.
- ALL entries will receive a gift.
- One poster will be selected as the overall Grand Prize Winner. Five posters (one winner from each grade level) will be selected as 1st Place Winners.
- Winners will be announced on Friday, March 2, 2018.
- The winners will be invited to an Awards Ceremony at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital on Wednesday, March 21, 2018.
- The winning posters will be displayed at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital during Poison Prevention Week, March 18 – 24, 2018.
If you have questions or would like one of the educators to visit your classroom and add a bit of inspiration, please call the Missouri Poison Center education office at 314-612-5719