1,141 Suicide related deaths in Missouri in 2019 (CDC WISQARS)
23,525 Years of potential life lost in 2019 (CDC WISQARS)
Age for Self-Harm Attempts by Poisoning in 2020
Help for Someone You Know
Learn how to recognize the warning signs when someone’s at risk—and what you can do to help.
If you believe someone may be in danger of suicide:
- Call 911, if danger for self-harm behavior is present.
- Ask them if they are thinking about killing themselves. This will not put the idea into their head or make it more likely that they will attempt suicide.
- Listen without judging and show you care.
- Stay with the person or make sure the person is in a private, secure place with another caring person until you can get further help.
- Remove any objects that could be used in a suicide attempt.