Tis’ the season! The holiday season is a wonderful time to reflect and be thankful for the many blessings and gifts received in 2018. As we all gather with our families and friends this holiday season, we are reminded of the many values that we represent at the Missouri Poison Center. Our employees strive each day to serve our callers in accordance with the philosophy and values of the founders of SSM Health – the Franciscan Sisters of Mary. We value the sacredness and dignity of each person, no matter how young or old. Therefore, we find these five values consistent with both our heritage and ministerial priorities:
- Compassion – We reveal the healing presence of God through compassionate care focused on the fullness of the person.
- Respect – We respect life at all stages and promote the dignity and well-being of every person.
- Excellence – We provide exceptional care and service through employees and physicians dedicated to our Mission.
- Stewardship – We use financial, human, and natural resources responsibly and care for the environment.
- Community – We cultivate relationships that inspire service and promote justice in our organization and throughout our communities, with special concern for the poor and marginalized.
These five words best describe how we treat you and your family. We believe that our care and commitment to each person and family sets us apart and makes for the best possible outcomes. To put our values into action this holiday season, the Missouri Poison Center has teamed up with two organizations to give back: The Wish Center and Reach Out & Read.
THE WISH CENTER
The Women and Infant Substance Help (WISH) Center is housed at SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital in St. Louis. Their team of experts is focused on providing high-risk maternity care to expecting mothers who are dependent on opioids or other drugs. Social workers, therapists, and other practitioners provide follow-up care and resources for these women and their babies. While these moms may experience stress and challenges, we hope that our gifts of diapers, wipes, baby toys, gift cards, and other items are useful as they support their babies and themselves in recovery.
REACH OUT AND READ
Reach Out & Read St. Louis is an organization founded by SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital that partners with pediatricians to provide and distribute age-appropriate books through their offices and clinics. Their goal is to have literacy become part of primary pediatric care by emphasizing that reading is doctor recommended. In previous years, the Missouri Poison Center team collected new books as part of their holiday stewardship and will be supporting this great organization again this year.
Poisonings never take a break, even during the holidays. If you have questions about holiday safety or other topics, call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222. Specially trained nurses and pharmacists are available 24/7/365. The service is free and confidential.